We are a welcoming family of Christ followers, living lives of generosity as we seek to be a blessing to others.
History of our Church
In 1791, the year of John Wesley’s death, Methodism had its beginnings in Muncy when the Rev. Richard Parriott of the Little York circuit made a missionary tour of this area. Our early services were held at the homes of people such as the Widow White, Funston’s, and Thomas Hamilton. In these early years, we were part of the Baltimore Conference. By 1800, the Muncy Methodists worshipped in a little log schoolhouse called the “Pepper School House” near what is now the corner of South Main and New Streets.
In 1830, trustees of the Muncy Methodists purchased a plot of ground at 206 S. Market Street for the sum of $58.00, and a single-story frame church building was erected. It was the first church building used exclusively for church purposes in Muncy. In 1851, we became part of the Muncy circuit, and a committee was appointed to consider a new church building. Construction began on this lot in 1853, and on June 24,1854, there was a cornerstone laying at the site on 206 S. Market St. for a new brick two story church.
1936 was the great flood. The church was used to house and provide meals for the people who were moved out of their homes. Because of the growth of the church, and particularly the growth of the church school, more space was needed. In 1962, with Rev. H. Richard Welliver as pastor, the congregation began to look elsewhere for land. Two parcels of land were purchased in 1967 between Musser Lane and Pepper Street, situated at the end of Market Street. In 1971, ground was broken, and construction began on the first level of our building project. Our first worship service was held in the Fellowship Hall in 1972 with Rev. R. Bruce Smay. Ten years later a construction contract was signed, and the upper level and final phase were completed in the summer of 1982. Our worship services were moved to the new sanctuary on the upper level with Rev. Richard Dunlap as pastor.
The congregation had traveled many different avenues to fulfill the mission of the Methodist Church—making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. To continue this mission at First United Methodist church, a 2020 Vision Committee was formed in January 2002. Rev. Michael Gardy dared us to dream and become doers of God’s Word. Twelve years later, on August 24, 2014, under the leadership of Rev. Arlene P. Beechert, the congregation celebrated the groundbreaking of an addition to be called the Celebration Center. A formal dedication service was held Sunday, January 10, 2016.
Our current pastor, Rev. Richard N. Robinson, is the 119th pastor in a procession of faithful clergy who have served the Muncy Methodist Church for many years. Our Heritage Hall was created to help us remember the journey God has had us on here in Muncy. God’s vision for our church today truly began in 1830!